Innovation Polymers announces a new conformable delay line with a stabilizing holder
April 29, 2021
Ultrasonic thickness testing is probably one of the simplest and most common applications of ultrasonic technology. However, it can be frustrating trying to get a steady signal when the surface is rough or not flat. Innovation Polymers now provides a conformable delay line in a 3-legged holder that can improve the stability of thickness readings.
The research and development team at Innovation Polymers has combined their conformable elastomers with a delay line that has a spherical tip housed inside a 3-legged stabilizer that is threaded to match the most popular probe designs.
- Threaded to match popular probe designs
- 3-legged stabilizer
- Selectable conforming materials
- Spherical tip
- With a 3-legged durable plastic holder design, the delay line holder can adapt to a range of both concave and convex surfaces.
- Allows for a range of materials and hardness of low attenuation elastomers.
- Pressing the assembly against the test piece compresses the delay line until the three legs stop the compression and provide a steady signal.
- The spherical tip helps eliminate air from the couplant at the point of contact and conforms to the test surface shape (flat, convex or concave).
- Single 14mm diameter delay line is used with options for several probe housing thread sizes (11/6″ – 32 TPI, 11/16″ – 24 TPI and 5/8″ – 24 TPI).
- Delay line length allows for measuring thickness of steel up to 75 mm.
Examples of A-scans using a 5 MHz probe and ACE delay-line
High acoustic impedance difference produces a large interface signal
Polymer materials like polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) have lower acoustic impedance than steel and provide a lower amplitude surface signal.
High Density PolyEthylene (HDPE) has an acoustic impedance of 2.45 MRayIs compared to 1.37 MRayIs for ACE™. This results in the low interface signal. Less than half the amplitude of the air-backed backwall signal.
About Innovation Polymers:
Innovation Polymers is a leader in acoustic capable polymer solutions for the non-destructive testing industry, providing high-quality products and services to clients across a range of industries. With a commitment to innovation and customer satisfaction, the company has the capability to develop a wide range of unique sound coupling polymeric media and has earned a reputation as a trusted partner in the industry.